Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Norval Morrisseau

Norval Morrisseau was an Annishnabee who was raised by his grandparents on the Sand Point lake Reserve near Thunder Bay, Ontario in 1930. His grandfather was a Shaman and his grandmother was a devout Catholic. These contrasts played significantly in his artwork. He is one of the most well known First Nations artist. He is known for popularizing the Woodlands style. A style that shows the secrets of legends and the connections people and the natural world.

"My paintings depict my own uncorrupted impressions of Ojibwa beliefs and legends, god and creatures." Norval Morrisseau

These two pieces were samples I created based on the art of Morrisseau. If I was going to use Morriseau's art in the classroom, I would combine it with a unit on legends. Try and see what you come up with. Have fun!

Notice the artwork, it is the same art I sent  to Spoonflower and I used it as a design for fabric. See previous entry. I am still undecided on what to make with the fabric. Check back to see what I have done.

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful images. Quite similar to Molas. I'll google the artists work and see what I can come up with. Thanks for introducing another Canadian artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, great blog! I've never heard of Norval Morrisseau ( I love learning about new artists!) If you have some free time check out my blog artmuse67@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea a lot! I'm going to do some research...and try it in my room!! Thanks for sharing!! Mr. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blog master of newly created NORVAL MORRISSEAU FOR CHILDREN BLOG located at http://norvalmorrisseauforchildren.blogspot.com/ . I am asking for permission to use images from this post by giving all the credit and appropriate linking to this blog. This newly created platform is dedicated exclusively to inform and inspire Children of the World about Art of Norval Morrisseau a.k.a. Copper Thunderbird. All suggestions are welcome. Sincerely, Ugo Matulic a.k.a. Spirit Walker.

    ReplyDelete